Whew. Still prepping for that game.

So, still prepping for the first game of the new campaign, “The Dragons are Dying,” which starts on Sunday. The dragons of Deybadon, the capital of Eastern Anthavar, are in danger of extinction. To a city famous for its Dragonriders, that’s of critical importance. The Emperor has decided to outfit 20-40 adventuring parties to seek a solution, and the party will be one of those sent in search of information regarding the Haddik flowers, or for a new source of them, as one possibility is that the dragons’ very specific food supply has been dwindling. Each party must have a Master Magician as a member, so that the Court Mage knows them well enough to communicate telepathically at long distances. So far the party has two warriors, two mages (a Sorceror and a Spiritologist), and a scout. The Spiritologist can’t play this week (finals!) but will join later.

I have lots done, lots still to do! I’ve fleshed out the campaign and the first two adventures, though I still need to generate the NPCs. Jennifer is completing the C# (“C Sharp”) interface for the gaming database I put together in Access, so hopefully the NPC generator will be done by the game. The settlement generator will wait for next time. I did add two new character name lists, 70 new NPC skill sets, and a few new sets of gods. Then on to the rules! Since I really liked the hex based movement in Pathfinder, I modified my old system for generating base speeds (used to be based on MASS; now it is based on MASS and END). The hardest part was calculating the scale of the board. It had to accommodate the slower characters (1 hex per round) but still allow bow combat (effective range for standard bow is 60 m.). I settled on 1 hex = 2 meters. I use the metric system for MASS and other calculations, so I’m just going to go metric with everything. That makes the effective range for standard bow 30 hexes, which can be done since I’m using Chessex’s Mondomat. It means the combats will concentrate on melee, but I can always zoom out for long distance battles. I’m now making up easy reference charts to introduce new players to the system quickly. To do that, I also went through and cleaned up inconsistencies in the Skills system, and pulled elements from Game Mechanics section (now defunct) and worked them more organically into the Character Generation, Combat, and Skills sections. I’ll put the new version of the Character Generation system up soon (it will replace my previous link to it). Then I’m going to go back to the Combat system and simplify it. I had been using a complicated critical hit and miss system for added “realism,” but since being a player again, I’ve decided to either go back to my older battle schedule or the Good Hits system. The battle schedule makes large combats go very quickly (30 person fight = 1/2 hour) while the Good Hits takes longer (probably 1-2 hours). On the other hand, Good Hits is more juicy for Warriors and I thought they needed that, so that’s the way I’m going. More rolling for combat, slows down the magic, and probably makes a better game balance. I also need to create a couple appropriate battle maps and one or two dungeon maps.

Advertisements

About lostdelights

An old gamer flying his freak flag, I've been playing table-top role-playing games since 1978. I've been building my own system (Journeyman) since 1981.
This entry was posted in Navah, Navah Campaign. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s