I don’t know about you, but Bing is the most annoying browser for me. I hate it with a passion and although I set Google search as my homepage, if I typed a keyword in the URL location window in Mozilla Firefox, it kept taking me to Bing. So here’s what I did to slay Bing.
- went to firefox plug-ins and disabled Windows Activation Technologies. Not sure that was a good idea, but I was so angry I went on a “Kill Windows” rampage.
- deleted Bing from “Search the Web” window. That didn’t do much.
- deleted Bing.xml from the Windows Program files directory. Again, not much reaction.
- Went to about:config and changed all search browser options to Google (1st, 2nd, & 3rd search option). You’d think this would do it but no, Bing came back.
- Went to about:config and searched for “keyword” then right click and selected RESET. That worked. Finally. Hallelujah!
Unfortunately, that Bing default for keyword search probably came from either a service provider (say, one of those hotels I stayed at?) or from a Windows update (truly insidious). So it might come back. But now I know how to get rid of it.